Tuesday, April 19, 2011

53


Fifty three days ago I had a plan. Years in the making and I finally made the decision. Fifty three days ago I was in a rut. Stuck in an infinite routine of BLAH! Mundane tasks clouded any real hope that things would change. Ah, but New York. There was always New York to think about. I’d close my eyes and almost be able to taste the humidity. The early months of 2011 were spent in daydreams of Central Park and skyscrapers. The infatuation wasn’t unhealthy, but I needed a distraction. Projects that I often start quickly lose interest to me when I figure out the impracticality of it. For example, I love to sew. Though, there are only so many skirts, dresses, and bags one can make before it becomes a bit excessive. I enjoy scrap booking. But printing pictures, sorting them, picking correct paper, going to the craft store ALONE is exhausting. Meanwhile the more I agonized about my situation, the more I thought about New York, the more I thought about New York the more I thought to distract myself. Amidst all this anxiety I always found myself going back to the same activity to clear my head. Baking. By the end of February I had gone through my favorite recipes twice. Cookies, cupcakes, brownies, truffles, assorted breads, you name it. I had found my release. It makes sense. I’m creative. I’ve always known that. I’ve also always known I have the attention span of a small rodent. Which explains why, when left up to me big projects often fail. Baking though, it’s the way to do it! You work hard, eat. If you keep working it gets better, and ultimately you eat better. Also the project is done in a few hours, bonus! Within weeks the passion for baked desserts evolved into cooking full course meals. It was fantastic. I was bringing together loved ones while doing something that made me happy. But as it usually goes, it wasn’t enough. The irrepressible thoughts of the east had been deciphered into an impulse to move on. Move there. I had played with the idea before, but I felt certain that it was now or never. Fifty three days ago I made the decision, I was moving to New York. I applied at all the right places, though scared beyond belief I was ready. It’s funny how quickly things can change in fifty three days…

Welcome to my blog! Where life is helping me discover food, just as much as food is helping me discover life!

I know you’re probably wondering what happened that I had to start turning down jobs in NYC. The answer is simply this, romance. The undeniable attraction for; individuals, ideals, activities, relationships, LIFE! And the passion that has been dead to me for so long. The courage to move on might have been all I needed, but everything isn’t completely figured out yet. There’s still a lot to conquer before it's over and done. As for right now I want to really seek conclusions as to why I felt the need to postpone. The title of my blog is indeed ‘The Romantics’. Mostly because of the type of people I surround myself with. We really are hopeless romantics stuck in the reality of our situations, making the best of it one recipe at a time.Most importantly we're doing it together.

It’s going to get complicated. I’m unsure about how this will fare. Maybe I’m going to regret my decision, I’ll probably be grateful I made it. One thing I can count on however, there will be food.

It’s nearly summer and I intend on making it as tasty as possible, join me??

No comments:

Post a Comment